CLARIFICATIONS ON STUDENT CONVENTION EVENTS (January 2019)
In preparation for the upcoming Junior Student Convention, as well the future NSCs and ISCs, please take note of the following rules clearly stated in the Convention Manual. Violations on these will result in technical disqualification.
Conductors are allowed only in the following events:
- Small and Large Vocal Ensemble
- Small and Large Instrumental Ensemble
- Hand Bell Choir
Group Bible Speaking
- A conductor is not allowed.
- While words may be repeated, words may not be added to the given passage, which must only be from the King James Version.
- Only sound effects created on stage may be added.
The Act “must include at least two scenes.” This means either a change or changes in the set or a clear passing of time ushering in a new scene.
Scripture & Character Trait Videos
- All photography, whether still or moving, must be shot by the contestants (no stock footage).
For Scripture Video, the video must include a complete narration of the verses, but it may also include music, sound effects, and additional dialogue or narration.
1. Artwork in Colored Pencils, Pen and Ink, Sketching, Watercolor, and Pastels should be properly framed AND with glass.
2. Artwork in Acrylics may either be with or without glass.
3. Artwork in Oil should be framed WITHOUT glass.
4. No “mixed-media” artwork may be submitted.
5. Pen and Ink is MONOCHROMATIC – this means only ONE color of ink should be used.
6. ALL artwork should measure no more than 36” (3 feet) on any side, INCLUDING FRAME, and must be ready to hang with wire hangers.
7. Make sure all artwork which features people follows convention guidelines for appearance and dress code (no sleeveless shirts, shorts, pants on women, open shoes/slippers, etc.).
8. All artwork must be submitted with a 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT; both should be securely attached at the back of each artwork.
9. NO JUDGE’S FORMS NEEDED.
10. All entries must be done in realistic style. NO ABSTRACT, SURREAL OR CARTOON styles.
11. NO artwork should attempt to portray the face of Christ.
1. All photos must be approximately 8” x 10” (8R) size, in either landscape or portrait orientation
2. All photos must be submitted with proper matting, not framing, and WITHOUT glass or plastic cover (example of matting material: illustration board); for easier display, matting should be approximately 11” x 14”.
3. Each photo must be entered in only one event.
4. Make sure all photos which feature people follow convention guidelines for appearance and dress code (no sleeveless shirts, shorts, pants on women, open shoes/slippers, etc.).
5. All photos must be submitted with a 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT; both should be securely attached at the back of each photo.
6. NO JUDGE’S FORMS NEEDED.
7. Photography Report (1 copy) NEEDED for Special Effects category ONLY.
1. Non-performance. Open for FEMALE contestants ONLY.
2. Layout may be 8”x8” or larger and must be a scrapbook layout. Cards and other craft projects cannot be submitted as the entire entry.
3. ALL items including photos in the entry MUST conform to SOTP Student Convention dress standards and guidelines.
4. Entries must be a minimum of two pages but not exceed twelve pages. (back-to-back pages are considered 2 pages)
5. Entry must have a clearly stated theme.
6. All artwork must be submitted with a 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT; both should be securely attached to the back of the scrapbook.
7. 3 Copies of Judges Forms is required.
CLAY SCULPTURE, METALWORK, AND WOODWORK:
1. Open for Male and Female contestants. One entry per school.
2. For Clay Sculpture:
1. Entries must be entirely hand built and can be made of any CLAY or POLYMER CLAY.
2. Use of slip molds or green ware available from ceramic or craft houses is not allowed.
3. Slip molds may be used if the mold is made by the student and molds must be submitted as part of the entry.
3. Metalwork and Woodwork entries must not exceed three (3) feet, and for Clay Sculpture, two (2) feet in any direction (l-w-h).
4. Follow convention guidelines, except that NO JUDGE’S FORMS ARE NEEDED; instead, attach 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT.
NEEDLE AND THREAD:
1. All categories are for FEMALE contestants ONLY.
2. For Dresses: Contestants must make girl’s/ladies’ garments. No children’s garments are permitted, except in crochet and knitting.
3. Be careful to place entry into proper category.
4. All fashion must meet A.C.E. Dress requirements.
5. For Cross-Stitch and Embroidery: No stamped cross-stitch / ‘punch and sew’ embroidery will be accepted. Pictures must be framed without glass. The back of all work must be accessible for judging.
6. Follow convention guidelines, INCLUDING SUBMISSION OF THREE JUDGE’S FORMS AND ALL REPORTS AND PATTERNS. Include 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT.
7. Incomplete and/or unfinished items will not be judged.
SCIENCE and SOCIAL STUDIES:
1. Exhibits must occupy a table or floor area no wider than 48 inches (L x W); Height may vary.
2. Dangerous chemicals; offensive odors; explosives; open flames; or live animals, reptiles or insects must not be exhibited. Exhibits requiring running water are not permitted.
3. Experiment notebooks and other supporting data should be available for the judges.
4. For Social Studies: Photos that are not historical and include people must adhere to contestants dress standards.
5. Follow convention guidelines, INCLUDING SUBMISSION OF THREE (3) JUDGE’S FORMS. Include 3” x 5” card and ONE EXHIBIT AFFIDAVIT.
**NOTE TO SPONSORS and COACHES**
Be sure the contestant enters the correct category.
When in doubt, READ then FOLLOW the Student Convention Guidelines.
Failure to follow rules may result in disqualification.
NOTE TO STUDENTS PLANNING TO PURSUE THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION:
Due to the strict size restrictions of airlines on check-in luggage (maximum 62” total dimension), please make sure that the sizes of artwork and exhibits do not exceed the allowable size including the packaging. Charges for excess size are very expensive.