- Light has a particular way of arresting one who is determined to walk in opposition to it
- Many have been stopped by a sudden revelation of light (truth), as it make one free to see what has not been seen before.
- Jesus presents Himself as the Light of the World. Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” ( John 8:12 ; ESV; capitalized)
- Anyone who believes in the Lord Jesus Christ becomes one of the “sons of light.” (John 12:36 5:5; cf. “saints in the light,” Col 1:12)
- As we grow spiritually, the path before our feet becomes better lit and we know better how to proceed in this life. 4:18
- Believers in fellowship with God, filled with the Holy Spirit, are said to “walk in the light.” (1John 1:7 2:8‑10 5:8b)
- Light is analogous to TRUTH and education is the study of truth.
- As Jesus is the “Way the TRUTH and the Life”, so education with Jesus in the life of the student allows truth in the created world to become evident as well
- Each step of learning is enhanced with its counterpart in the corresponding sphere.
- The physical/ emotional/ relational and spiritual all work in harmony!
- It is the desire of the educator to bring harmony in the life of the one being educated.
- This means that there will be a spiritual battle that will rage to disrupt the harmony.
When the Light finally breaks through it will cause a radical change.
II. EDUCATION IS LIKELY TO BREAK THROUGH
(Education THAT IS SEEN)
A. SUDDENLY – vs. 3
- Often a light comes on for a student
- God uses many means to touch a life
B. SOMETIME WITH A FALL – vs 4
- This may be a moral, physical, financial or emotional nature
- This type is not for punishment, but for the sake of getting attention
C. THERE IS A MESSAGE THAT COMES
- This may be with an audible or inaudible voice
- It is with emphasis “Saul, Saul”! And a question!
- Good education always makes the student ask questions!
D. THERE IS A QUESTION THAT IS FOLLOWED BY A DRAMIC REVELATION
- Who art thou, Lord?
- The question was important as Saul was fully persuaded that Jesus was NOT to be worshipped as he was an imposter and dead!
- The answer must have been quite a revelation! “I am Jesus –“
- The presumed dead is alive –
- The one who is being worshipped by those I am perusing to kill is ALIVE!
- Then, the continuation – “WHOM THOU PERSECUTEST”!
- I am persecuting a “dead” person, who is talking to me
- And he continues, “it is hard to kick against the pricks (kentron – pointed stick)
Each time Paul persecuted a believer there was a pricking of his conscience!
III. PAUL FEELS THE MESSAGE AND RESPONDS – 9:6-19
EDUCATION THAT IS FELT! (The Holy Spirit)
A. THE EFFECT ON SAUL –
- “Tembling and Astonished” – 9:6
- Immediately asking what should be done – 9:6
- God’s plan is for him to interact with others after 3 days waiting
- Three days without sight, neither eating or drinking – 9:9
- Often there is a time of confusion and deep soul searching
B. THE INDIVIDUALIZATION –
- Others see the light and hear a sound, but cannot understand the message – 9:7; 22:9
- Some education/truth is understood by one but not by others
C. THE EFFECT ON OTHERS – 9:10-16
- Ananias faith is put to the test –
- God’s work always involves an interaction with others in the learning process
- No Christian can grow without relationship tests – O.T. Illustrations are many
- The Christian school staff must realize that even the students are God’s tools to stretch them in their walk.
IV. EDUCATION THAT OPENS THE MIND AND HEART IN A TRANSFORMATIONAL WAY
Education that is Neither seen and felt which transforms. 9:19-22
B. True educational transformation gives the students not only knowledge but purpose for life.
C. Seeing and feeling without the internal awareness of purposefulness leaves the student with pride and arrogance.
D. Our world is filled with these people, and their lives, if they do have a purpose only attached to the earthly, are lacking the depth for a lasting legacy.
- WHEN DOES A PERSON BECOME TRULY EDUCATED?
Story of General Billy Mitchell
- WHO ART THOU LORD?
- “THAT I MAY KNOW HIM” – 3:10
- TO KNOW HIM and THE POWER OF HIS RESURRECTION!
- ARE WE PREPARING THEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS A DEATH BEFORE A RESURRECTION CAN TAKE PLACE? Cor. 15:31
- ARE WE BUILDING A DESIRE IN OUR STUDENTS TO WALK IN THE LIGHT?
- ARE WE ENGENERING A DESIRE FOR SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE WHICH WILL ENCOMPAS THE WORLD IN WHICH GOD HAS PLACED EACH STUDENT ?
- ONLY WHEN THAT MIND IS EQUIPPED AND CHALLANGED FOR INQUIRY WILL WE BE ABLE TO SAY WE HAVE EDUCATED THE STUDENT!
B. THE PURPOSE OF THE LIGHT!! WHY LIGHT YOUR WORLD?
Act 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
- OPEN EYES
- TURN FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT
- TURN FROM SATAN’S POWER TO GOD
- SINS FORGIVEN
- GIVE AN INHERITANCE