This will be a very specific topic that will explain the technical aspects and the principles behind creating and managing Facebook pages and groups. If you have an existing page or group on Facebook, then you might want to consider some of our recommendations to improve your social media presence.
PAGE vs GROUP
They are not one and the same. They have similar functions but must be managed differently. We have to understand the difference before we can efficiently fulfill our objectives.
- FACEBOOK PAGE – School of Tomorrow®, Philippines used this option to publicly start building our Social Media presence. Anyone and everyone can access, like, and follow our page. In general, a page is a public profile that allows us to introduce our brand, services and activities.
- FACEBOOK GROUP – Recently, we have created a closed group for Pastors, Administrators and Principals of schools using the School of Tomorrow® System. A group on the other hand, is a community based feature that allows members to share same interests and discuss topics. Our goal with the group is to send information to specific people.
With the onset of Remote Learning using the FACEBOOK GROUP feature is best. We will be able to create a controlled community for our students and parents.
WHERE DO I START?
Making a FACEBOOK GROUP requires a personal Facebook account and easy access to the FACEBOOK Application. With the SOT®P FACEBOOK GROUP, the administrators (including me) opted to use our personal account. There’s no sense creating another identity just because you need to create the group. That speaks of our integrity.
Once you are logged in to your Facebook account, click on the CREATE tab at the top right hand corner and then browse down the options and press GROUP.
From there you will be given basic instructions on how to proceed. Make sure you understand every instruction before advancing. Most of the settings are not permanent and can be changed.
SOME HELPFUL TIPS AND REMINDERS
I am not an expert in FACEBOOK GROUP management, but here are some things that we did that is working out for us.
- NAME YOUR GROUP PROPERLY. Make sure that the name of your group is comprehensive and straight to the point. Put the name of your school in the group name and your target audience. Take our group for example – SOT®P SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS. Who is in it? The organization is School of Tomorrow Philippines and the members are school administrators.
- EXPLORE THE CAPABILITIES OF YOUR GROUP. Your group has a lot of built in features to suit your needs. Once you enter your group, you will find most of the options on the left hand side menu.
Each tab corresponds to a feature that you can use to customize your group to suit your preferences. Don’t be afraid to test out every setting.
- FINALIZE YOUR SETTINGS BEFORE INVITING YOUR MEMBERS. Before you start inviting members, try to finalize your settings. The group settings can be found in the MORE button located just below the Cover Photo.
You can invite your co-administrators and moderators of the group to test out the settings. It’s advisable that you finalize everything, like posting permission and membership prequalifying questions, before taking in members.
- STICK TO THE RULES OF THE GROUP. The group comes with a set of rules that you need to create. Each member should adhere to these rules. Admins and moderators should enforce these rules without compromise. Groups that are designed for students should be guided by well written and not impossible to enforce rules. Don’t threaten expulsion if you will not be willing to stand the promise. These rules can be found in the group menu on the left side.
A FINAL WORD
Social media is a very volatile environment and should be handled with extreme maturity. May it be a PAGE or a GROUP, managing social media platforms should not be taken lightly. I have seen public figures and even known institutions collapse under great scrutiny by bashers and trolls within the online world. Here are some things I learned in my years of using social media and even managing pages and groups:
- STICK TO THE TRUTH AND LET THE TRUTH DEFEND YOU
- NEVER POST ANYTHING THAT WOULD RUIN YOUR TESTIMONY
- NEVER POST PARTIAL INFORMATION
- CONSIDER NOT TAKING DOWN NEGATIVE COMMENTS AND REFER TO NUMBER 1
- PRAY FOR EXTRA PATIENCE
The NEW NORMAL in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic is shifting all transactions online. It’s about time we shine our light online and redeem the social media platform for the glory of God!